Tuesday, July 8, 2008

10 km

6.2 miles (10 km) | 56:43 | 9:09/mile (5:40/km)

Ten kilometers today. It turned out to be at my target marathon pace for a four hour marathon. My pace was pretty even, running 5:40, 5:37, 5:28, 5:33 (average for kilometers 4 and 5), 5:38 (average for kilometers 6 and 7), 5:40, 6:08, and 5:47. The second to the last kilometer, run in 6:08, is almost entirely uphill.

My left knee has been sore. It stiffens up when I'm sitting around at work and hurts a little when I'm walking around. It doesn't hurt when I run. Today, I noticed that my let shin is also a little sore when running. There is also a pair of bones in the top of my left foot that sometimes get out of joint somehow and hurts a little from the odd pressure on it. If I stop and twist my foot a little bit, it pops back with a click and feels better after that (popping it back doesn't feel so good). I have had this for at least ten years. When I used to do hiking and backpacking with forty or more pounds in my pack, the foot would do this all the time.

The last two days, I've noticed my foot behaving oddly in this way on my run. I wonder if my knee pain in my left knee is due to compensating by running differently on my left foot.

I think my running form has improved over the last few weeks since I began trying to be conscious about it. I still don't know if it's good (and my knee started hurting after I changed it), but it definitely feels strange to run with my old bouncy stride.

No comments: