Wednesday, July 9, 2008

5K easy

3.1 miles (5 km) | 28:14 | 9:07/mile (5:39/km)

I went five kilometers at about the same pace as Monday.

My left knee is still sore. I stretched this morning before my run, and my legs were really tight. When my knees hurt before, I was stretching twice a day morning and night and additionally after every run. Then, when my knees suddenly stopped hurting, I was so excited that I completely stopped stretching at all.

So perhaps the knee soreness that has been dogging me for the last week and a half is the same issue and due to lack of flexibility. I'll get back to a stretching routine and see if it helps.

I seem to have been able to drastically alter my "natural" running form with just a couple weeks of attention to it. For the last kilometer today, I concentrated on lengthening my stride by pushing off behind and turning my legs over a little faster. For about the same perceived effort, I ran 5:24 (faster than my average) for the last kilometer.

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day, with stretching. Friday is a six miler at marathon pace. I will take Saturday off. I am taking my family on the ferry to Copenhagen first thing in the morning, and spending the day at the Tivoli amusement park and the night in a hotel in Copenhagen. Sunday, I will run 11 miles around and about Copenhagen before heading to the airport for a 12:20 flight to New York for two weeks of vacation.

No comments: