Monday, June 16, 2008

30 minutes & 47:30

Sunday morning I drove up to the capitol building (west) side of Memory Grove Park, parked on the street, and run up to the City Creek Canyon area for 15 minutes. When I turned around, I ran down into Memory Grove Park from its top (north) end. I stopped after an even 30 minutes.

From where I stopped down in the valley, I couldn't get directly back up to the top where I was parked. Instead, I walked south through the park until I got to the first street that curved back around to my car. Walking through the park in the morning was nice, anyway.

My knees were a little sore when I started on Sunday, after my long run the day before, but they felt better as I ran (or else my body got acclimated to the soreness so I no longer noticed it).

Today, Monday, I drove right up to the gate on City Creek Canyon Road, parked, and ran up the road for 25 minutes and then turned around and headed back downhill. My total time, due to the downhill second half, was 47:30.

Again, both knees were a little sore when I started but felt better within the first half mile (800 meters). They don't hurt at all when I'm just doing normal things (sitting, walking around, etc). In fact, they feel just like regular knees except for the first few minutes of my run on Sunday and Monday.

Tomorrow is an off day due to travel, so that's good. I'll try to read about knee pain and running and see what I think. They were also sore a few months ago when I first moved farther out of town and my daily bike ride went from 2 km to 11 km each way. After a week or so of riding, the soreness went away. Maybe this is the same sort of thing (increasing my distance a little too much too fast), but I'll be careful about it.

Salt Lake City was a pretty nice city to run in. The next time I'll be on the road to run is when I come to New York City in July.

No comments: