Tuesday, June 10, 2008

6.5 km

4 miles (6.5 km) | 39:10 | 9:40/mile (6:01/km)

Today I ran an out-and-back 6.5 km. My pace was nearly the same as yesterday, but my legs felt a little dead today. I'm leery of ramping up my weekly mileage too fast when I'm just starting. Though I'm following a training plan, I will feel free to reduce some of the distances (except for the long runs) at least at the start.

My uncle has registered to run the Amsterdam marathon as well. That will be nice to see him there. It will also motivate me to stick with my training plan.

I'm still biking about 13 miles (round trip) per day. Yesterday, half of that was pretty hard (uphill in the morning, and I was late for a meeting). So, in addition to my running training, I have two 25 or 30 minute cross-training sessions per day.

Tomorrow I'll run the same loop as Monday (to compare my pace) and Thursday I'll run the same out-and-back as today. Thursday is a pace run. I'm still targeting 4 hours, so I'll run at a 9:09/mile pace. I found a pace calculator at Macmillan Running that I think is pretty good. It indicates that my 4 hour marathon target is equivalent to a 51:08 10K, and that I should be running 9:40 to 10:10/mile on my easy runs.

No comments: